Thursday, April 6, 2017

Music And Painting - "Purpose" 18" x 24" Completed!

I apologize in advance for so many occurrences of "I" in this piece, but, these days, I have a new painting process and I would like to share it with you.

I have music playing in my studio while I paint.  As a result, I believe my paintings are now more like musical compositions.

In my painting process, I strive for harmonious colors, values, shapes, and designs.

I am particularly inspired by the "bass".  It is the foundation for the music upon which everything else is built.  In my paintings, the black pigment is the bass color, black lines are the bass shapes and designs.  I have always used black frames.

Similarly, white is the highest frequency sound at the opposite end of the spectrum.  I like to spread the lighter values over areas large and smaller highlights.  The white comes from the watercolor paper.

The black frame and white mat provide a window into the piece by establishing the darkest, lowest and brightest, highest notes.

Here is a recent watercolor of a street scene showing people walking during the winter in Oxford, England.  Incidentally, the painting is leaning against one of the corner bass horns in my studio sound system.

"Purpose" - Watercolor 18" x 24"
"Purpose" - Watercolor 18" x 24"
Here is a comparison of this painting, painted under the influence of music, with a previous version.
"Purpose" Versions Compared
"Purpose" Versions Compared

Some have theorized that all sounds are music.  The work of Murray Shafer and Hildegard Westerkamp, both sound scholars, comes to mind.  Their work has helped me to understand how my hearing has become part of seeing.


No comments:

Post a Comment