Thursday, April 13, 2017

Brooklyn Library Sketchbook

Before I sent my Sketchbook back to the Brooklyn Library, I scanned every page here in the event my sketchbook should become lost or damaged in the mail.  The Brooklyn Library has some 35,000 of these from all over the world and has just announced a new program to photograph every Sketchbook ever received by them in chronological order.  They estimate it could take ten years or more to scan everything.

I am glad I scanned mine when I did because now I can share it here.  So, without further delay, here are the scans.  These are web versions in the order they were written to my hard drive, not in the order they are in the Sketchbook.  All are 5" x 7".

I learned quite a bit as a result of this exercise.  My approach was to make a new sketch every day until the Sketchbook was full.  Because I used watercolor, I painted on only one side of each page.  I started every sketch with black ink pen.  Then I applied watercolor washes to get the colors I wanted.

My Sketchbook is called "My Favorite Things".

"1947 Chevrolet Truck" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"1947 Chevrolet Truck" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Buoy Knot" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Buoy Knot" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Daffodils" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Daffodils" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Damariscotta River" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Damariscotta River" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Damariscotta" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Damariscotta" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Dynaco ST-70" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Dynaco ST-70" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Friendship Sloop" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Friendship Sloop" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Howie's Rig" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Howie's Rig" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Lobster Boat" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Lobster Boat" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Lobster Buoy 01" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Lobster Buoy 01" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Maine Lobster Boat" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Maine Lobster Boat" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Manhattan From Greenpoint" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Manhattan From Greenpoint" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Pemaquid Surf" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Pemaquid Surf" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Puppies And Firewood" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Puppies And Firewood" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Seashore Rocks" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Seashore Rocks" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


"Travelling Band" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman
"Travelling Band" - Watercolor by Paul Sherman


No comments:

Post a Comment