Thursday, April 14, 2011

My First Homework Assignment

My First Homework Assignment
Here is a black-and-white value study I painted en plein air at Pemaquid Point, Bristol, Maine, on Friday, April 7, 2011.  Several passersby offered very kind and encouraging words.  Were it not for the inspirational Daniel Corey oil painting class at the Boothbay Region Art Foundation, I would probably never have tried this.  I had spent the previous Thursday scrounging around the barn for an old oil paint box to modify into a tripod-mounted pochade box.  I used a very large Manfrotto tripod with three axis clamp head I have had for some time.  The whole thing together is quite a heavy contraption but it is very sturdy and not likely to blow over in the wind.  After that, I cut out a couple of plywood panels for a palette.  I managed to get a decent French polished surface on one of them after staining it with gray paint.  While this was drying, I applied gesso to half a dozen MDF panels I had cut out to fit in the pochade box.  I was so excited about getting out to paint my first value study assignment, that I became a little impatient with all the preparation but soon got into the swing of it.  The preparation continued into the next day but I finally packed everything into the van and headed down to "The Point" to set up and paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment